Monday, June 15, 2009

Think Blue

If I don't do this now, I might lose the chance to bask in the glow of the Dodgers being a good team.

I was very excited for this baseball season, because it finally looked like the Dodgers would have a good chance to go deep in the playoffs. They have been very good this year.

They lost their star player, the best offensive player in the game for 50 games. It has had an impact. Their winning percentage is down by .124 since Manny had to leave.

That being said, the Dodgers have held it together with a 21-14 record since. If they had Manny, they probably would have had 25 wins in that same time period, and it's not out of reach to say that Manny could have won 4 out of 35 games for them.

When he comes back, there is potential for a tremendous season. Lets hope they keep it rolling.

And for those of you who say the Dodgers play in a weak division, consider that since Manny has been out, they've played 6 games vs. the Phillies, and 3 vs. the Rangers, both leaders of their respective divisions. They are a combined 6-3 giving them a win percentage of .667, which is better than their overall season win percentage.

Since I'm a fan, I'm going to go ahead and look forward to the World Series. The one team in the AL I wouldn't like to see the Dodgers face would be the Tigers, so there's a feather in your cap, Brett. Sure, Boston, New York, and Texas all have more wins right now, but the Dodgers just beat Texas in Arlington, Manny would have something to prove against Boston, and does anyone think the Dodgers would have trouble hitting it out of Yankee Stadium. That place is a launching pad.

So the NL had better go out and win the All Star Game, and the Dodgers better stay away from devastating injury and make it to the World Series. I have some chickens that I've counted that haven't yet hatched.

You may all go on with your lives.

Bubsywood

PS. Tyler and Jackson and all other Braves fans, when are you going to see the light and root for a cool team? My brothers are beyond hope, but I gave you guys more credit for choosing cool teams. Guess I was wrong.

3 comments:

John Millburn said...

Spence, you aren't scared of facing the Bluejays in the Series? Shame on you. I guess if they did make it that far they would be 3/4 of a AAA team since their whole team would be injured. Plus, it makes since for you to not be scared of a 4th place team in their division. Anyways, I've noticed you've been slacking on the Beat the Streak games and have No Selection half the time. What's the deal there? There are only three of us brave enough to play so I can't have you wimping out now. Plus, I wish they had a place to make comments in there so that I didn't have to resort doing it on your blog in what has come to be known as the longest comment in history. I noticed all three of us picked the Home Run Beat the Streak correctly for a first time ever one. Lets see if one of us can push that bad boy to two. I think my picking Bluejay players exclusively is a bad choice. Oh well, live and learn as they say. As a final comment, you should do more baseball posts, yes. Can't you see the intrigue I have in it?

John Millburn said...

D'oh! I have a correction to make in that I meant to say "sense" not "since" in line 5, word 1. Also, Dad blew the scrabble game for you. His first word was rebar which is obviously a word, and an awesome one at that, but we challenged it because we were using that way strict Webster's Dictionary and not you all-incluslive scrabble dictionary, and it wasn't in there. So you lost because of Dad and Dad lost because you left. Catch-22.

The Bubs said...

Yes, rebar is a word. Also made with those letters and acceptable are barre and barer. Tell Dad how he got hosed.