Sunday, April 22, 2007

Cold Cereal Critic Bubs

I think I've been a little heavy handed with my posts lately, so I'm finally going to get down to doing a much needed list.

Best Cold Cereals

17- Honey Comb - Pretty ordinary if you ask me.
16- Cocoa Puffs - Not as good as it's cocoa cousin.
15- Reese's Puffs - A little peanut butter never hurt anyone, except for those with peanut allergies.
14- Apple Jacks - A poor man's Froot Loops.
13- Trix - I remember dad tourturing me in the store when I wanted to buy Trix saying "Trix are for Rabbits." Then I'd respond with the famous "No, Trix are for kids!" (I think that last sentence does merit an exclamation point.)
12- Raisin Bran - I like the one with sugar all over the raisins.
11- Cheerieos - The old standby.
10- Cocoa Pebbles - For the chocolate milk factor.
9- Cookie Crisp - Obscure
8- Rice Krispies - 2 reasons why this is so high on the list.
1- You can make rice krispy treats from them.
2- Dad told me that when the rice krispies are crackling, they are saying "Spencer W. Kimball is the prophet."
7- Kix - Rated high for the keeping Lincoln quiet in church factor.
6- Mini Wheats - I'm surprised myself.
5- Fruity Pebbles - Knocked down a few notches for always coming in a little box.
4- Lucky Charms - This cereal has made a surge of late. 10 years ago, it wouldn't have been in the top ten. I'd have to say Malt-o-meal's Marshmellow Mateys have something to do with that.
3- Frosted Flakes- I'm not sure if I like the milk afterward or the cereal more.
2- Cinnamon Toast Crunch - Much better than it's younger, uglier brother, French Toast Crunch.
1- Froot Loops - aka tear the roof of your mouth apart cereal, but seriously, quit whining.

I would like to mention that I purposefully snubbed Wheaties. They aren't that good, seriously. Any other snubs may be an oversight. I would also question General Mills's website. They buried Cinnamon Toast Crunch, it was almost impossible to find. Why?

Plus, I purposefully overlooked a top tener, the first one to notice and name will win a few drops of Tylenol for Infants.

Office quote of the day:

'I accidently cross dressed, then I had to ride up here with stupid Toby!"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe you missed Captain Crunch (with or without the berries). This would be the true "tear the roof of your mouth apart cereal." Personally my favorite cereal is Honey Bunches of Oats. This also missed your list.
-Katie Calvin

Anonymous said...

Wow, that only took 3 hours, next time I see Christen I'll give her your prize. I think there's a pretty good reason Honey Bunches of Oats missed the list. Not a big fan. But in defense of me, the name doesn't make sense.

Chad said...

Was Cap'n Crunch that abrasive when we were little? Back then either I didn't notice or I didn't care.

Anonymous said...

As a self-proclaimed cereal expert, I was happy to see your list. Surprisingly, I don't have too much to gripe about. Honey Bunches of Oats is a sneaky one. It tricks you as a healthy snack, which it very well may be, but it packs a powerful punch and I highly recommend it. Especially to Strawberry version. I have much to say, but I'll close with pointing out how important it is when making such a list to consider the Malt-O-Meal versions, especially being a poor college student, they are key to cereal success. Fruity Pebbles are top notch, but the bagged version is terrible. Coco Roos keep up with the Puffs, and the Raisin Bran version holds it's own. Overall, I would have to say that the Frosted Flakes is my number one. It's virtually flawless. And it's its simplicity that makes it great. A true trailblazer to all other cereals that hold any credibility. Also, that one about the Rice Crispies saying Kimball's the Prophet is a good one. A very good one.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the malt o meal versions can be pretty good, I mentioned that I like Marshmellow Mateys, which is the Lucky Charms knockoff, but I think the crunch berries knockoff is pretty good too. That being said, the malt o meal froot loops doesn't hold a candle to the real thing.

Anonymous said...

I see you took down that link to platypi information. I checked in to see if you had the updated box scores, but no luck. I guess you haven't been doing it lately, which tells me you must be batting below the Mendoza line. Burn.

Matt said...

The only thing cheaper than malt-o-meal cereal is the free cereal at the chow hall. Yes, I grab one container a day and eat the cereal on the weekend. But, I must say you did miss two very delicious cereals. I could say that they are my favorite. These are Count Chocula and Chocolate Lucky Charms. Yes, they are exactly the same cereal. On a side note, I used to eat Chocolate Lucky Charms every day for breakfast, I informed my Army recruiter of this and a week later he told me that he purchased some Chocolate Lucky Charms and that they were delicious. True story.

Tank Trouble 2 said...

This article is interesting