Friday, June 23, 2006

Soccer Hater Bubs

It's not that I hate soccer above anything else. In fact, I gave it a chance -- ask my brothers. I was into the 1994 world cup, because I thought it would be cool, especially since I had just returned from Venezuela. Instead, it was a huge disappointment.

Here are some of the reasons why I hate soccer, as you will see, they are quite reasonable.

  • I could make the sport more enjoyable, and I know nothing about soccer
- Do away with offsides determined by defenders, and draw a line on the field, like hockey.
- Don't penalize a team based on how "injured" the other player looks.
- Put the actual time on the scoreboard instead of making it a huge mystery.
  • Most penalties don't affect the game much, but if the penalty happens to occur near the goal, it's a huge penalty. That is like awarding a layup attempt for a breakaway foul in basketball that's worth 25 points.
  • US will never win, because US athletes don't fake injuries.
  • Refs can change the game with thier bad calls more than just about any other sport, since a red card not only means an ejection, but the team now has to play a player short.
  • Draws
  • "Fans" just sing or blow whistles the whole time.
  • The team that plays the best wins only 30% of the time. I usually like to see the team that plays the best win. Notable exceptions include BYU, Utah Jazz, and Platypi
That's all my soccer hating for now, I'll let other add reasons as I'm sure I have forgotten a few reasons to hate soccer. The sad thing is I'm sure I'll be sucked into the world cup in 2010.

In other news, I found my first geocache the other day. Pictures of that find to come shortly, it was near Valley Park. Visit the geocaching link for more info.

Also, for those who are interested, I've updated a few videos on millburnland as well as some Platypi stuff. Big game next tuesday. Matt, you should check out the game summaries to make sure you know how the games went.

That is all.

Papa John

2 comments:

Matt said...

Wow, I can now follow the Platypi via the internet. I see that the big game is on the 27th where you folks need to beat the Salt Lake Blues and then dedicate the victory to me. Two things about soccer that are awesome: 1. The only sport so boring that it will consistently cause boredom riots because the fans are trying to think of something fun to do. 2. When we used James' time machine to travel back in time and kill the guy who invented soccer.

Anonymous said...

Brian accused Matern and myself of being anti-American when we were discussing on the awsomeness of how the U.S. didn't advance. The rebuttal? That soccer is un-American, and therefore, we are true patriots.