Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Bookworm Bubs

Clearly this blog could use a picture of Lincoln, so here you go...



Did I say one picture? I meant two.

Brett needs to get me that list of worst calls in history I did a few months ago. I have some to add, thanks to a certain football game in late November.

Also, I'd like to make a list of best far sides -- suggestions?

Now on to today's list:
Rankings of books I've read in the last year

Which admititly is quite lame since I'm still in school.
8 - All those teacher effectiveness books I had to read for my class
Books aren't as cool if you are forced to read them
7 - Speak
I liked the book, but it's about a teenage girl, and I read it to a class of mostly boys. I had no idea what the book was about, I was just told it was a good read-aloud book.
6 - Prey
By Michael Crighton. It was cool science stuff, but I didn't understand most of it since it was Biology
5 - Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrytes.
Good book about not just passing out worksheets. I wish I was better at group work, but it usually turns into chaos. That is why the book is slipping in the rankings.
4 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
Read it for the 2nd time before book 6 came out to catch up on Fred and George's antics.
3 - The Teeth of the Tiger
Tom Clancy book, pretty good, but it was one of those to be continueds. I didn't notice till the last page and I was like 'they can't wrap this up in time'.
2 - Ender's Game
Very good book, I read it to my class, but they didn't think it was as cool as I did.
1 - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Unlike most people, I saw the events of the book as inevitable. Still gotta wonder whose a good guy and whose a bad guy.
There's your list, hope you enjoyed it.
In other news, the free ride is over for Lincoln. Ange started school today, and she'll start working in 2 weeks. If anyone wants to babysit, you know my email
Servo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is your list of worst calls. I would make my own, but I wouldn't be able to come up with 10.
10-No blocking in the back penalty charged to TCU during thier kickoff return for a touchdown earlier this year against BYU.(Still bitter)
9- Derek Jeter being awarded a homerun after a fan reached over the fence and hauled it in.
8- Bryan Russell being called for blocking against Shaq.
7- Brian Webster being called out after hitting a homerun because he is wearing a sweatshirt.
6- Not really a bad call, but does anyone remember Hans Mulman trying to untangle the net in one of John's games?
5- Loftiss disallowing a made free throw from the scoring table during a 5th ward game.
4- I still don't think Giambi the younger was out against the Yankees when Jeter made the relay throw. (Seriously, how hard is it to slide?)
3- Referees during the Air Force BYU game constantly assessing 5 yard penalties for the crowd being too loud.
2- Platypi umpire saying the ball is dead and runners advance one base after it hit a runner while still on base.
1- Dick Bavetta shot clock problems

Anonymous said...

So Bubs, do you want us to send our versions of your lists? In favor of or against? Or are you neutral about it? Oh well, I'm not at home, I'm at the Powell's so I can't reference my library, so I might forget some important ones by accident, but here's my top 10 books that I read in 2005:
10)Cry, the Beloved Country
9)Christ and the New Covenant
8)The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader"
7)1984
6)Othello
5)Catch-22
4)The Third Man
3)The Silver Chair
2)Shadow of the Hegemon
1)Ender's Shadow
If there are any questions or comments concerning any of these choices, I will be happy to explain my reasoning. Keep up the lists Bubba.

Christen said...

Keep the pics of the little guy comin'!

Anonymous said...

As for me...I will only do a top 5 list. Not because I only read 5 books, but because every sociology book I had to read ranks in the number 10 position. Except for Michael Moore's --Adventures in a TV Nation. I might put that book at #6. Mostly because it was entertaining.

5. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
4. Speaker for the Dead
3. Ender's Game
2. Ender's Shadow
1. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince